Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The End of Bohag Bihu at Barpeta

Every Bohag, the first month of Assamese Calendar, people of Assam discarding their feeling of caste and creed and religious belief, rejoice to the fullest magnitude to welcome the New Year and to fill the life with zeal forgetting all misfortune and brushing aside all misgiving. Starting 15th April (1st Bohag), the weeklong celebration of Bohag Bihu ends with great Palnaam Kirtan traditionally in front of Barpeta Naamghar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barpeta). Thousands of devotees throng the spot to offer Molasses and get blessings. This year too there is no exception and I could not afford to miss this opportunity as the day coincided with my weekly rest day after a week’s duty. So I took my HOVERCRAFT (Maruti 800 car)  out of garage, my only son Bitopan, a student of 1st year MBBS in Gauhati Medical College, has given the name to it, and drove straight to Barpeta with my wife Sailaja. By 5.30 PM, I discovered there, it was a sea of devotees and I made no delay to buy a packet of Molasses to offer at the designated place (A Big Sharai) and bowed my head before the almighty. Entering inside the premises I could recall my childhood days roaming in this Kirtanghar campus and moved around. This time I was a bit lucky that I almighty offered me this special chance to record an interview of Satradhikar Sri Bashishtha Sarma, simultaneously with NETV personnel about the significance of the Palnaam hold each year. Let’s see what he said in the following video clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment