Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs

Monday, May 9, 2011

Fear I bought for Rs1.50


It was a very hot summer of July1982 in Guwahati. I just cannot recall the exact date. I was a trainee Ophthalmic Assistant at then Guwahati Medical College and Hospital, Panbazar (Now MM Choudhury Memorial Hospital). Like every other youth I also started my hunt for a job after passing my B.Sc. Examination. By then one of my friends who worked in Office of the Director of Public Health Services, Hengerabari, Guwahati, informed me that recruitment of some Ophthalmic Assistant Trainees had been underway at that office. But all these will be only stipendiary of Rs. 200.00 per month. It did make sense for me as that sum of money was not a paltry sum though not a hefty one. However I was selected for the post and started attending classes at Ophthalmology Department of GMCH. The memories are still green in my heart about the classed taken by Chatterjee Sir, (I liked best his lecture on Occulomotors), Patowary Sir (Pharmacology) etc etc. This 200 made me such a frugal brained that every paisa was utilized to its absolute value. To & fro city bus fare between Ganeshguri & Panbazar every day and a cup of tea with a small sweet in the canteen of PWD Office near GMCH. But things did not go smooth and in July 1982 I was almost penniless due to non release of stipend. I approached the office clerk at Dispur Secretariat.  The gentleman across the table promised me the early settlement of the file and to my astonishment the gentleman got the release order signed the competent authority the day itself. I dropped a sigh of relief and intended to leave. But suddenly I was unable to find the ground beneath my feet as the person asked me to accompany him for a cup of tea. I thought “Is this man asking me sort of bribe?” Sweat started flowing down my feet thinking about the impending embarrassing situation. I rummaged my pocked and took a firm hold of the One Rupee note and the only 50 Paisa coin and walked along up to the canteen without a single word uttered. That posed a question of prestige before me when the gentleman ordered for two cups of tea and two big sweets (RASGOLLA).My throat choked and I could hardly swallow the sweet and the cup of tea. Now we are in front of the cash counter of the canteen inquiring the manager of the bill. I once again rummaged my pocket and felt the note and the coin which got moistened with my sweat. “What are you doing?” Something echoed very loud in my ear and woke up surprised. “I am paying the bill and not you”. I just pretended that I had money to pay the bill. The gentleman smiled at me and held a green five rupee note towards the cash counter. It’s a miracle and this time I started shivering as I was badly wet because of excessive sweating. Innumerable sneezing only could provide me warmth.

1 comment: